Lisbon – Tiles, Gardens and Landscapes
- Tour summary
The attractive parks and gardens of Lisbon and Sintra plus the attractions and sights of the charming city of Lisbon.
Lisbon is a charming place to visit. Its central area has retained much of its character, with narrow streets and old buildings alongside modern additions.
Our tour is based in Lisbon and combines visits to gardens with visits to places of more general architectural and historic interest. From our base in Lisbon we visit public and private gardens in nearby Sintra and the Arrabida National Park. In Lisbon we take a walking tour of old Lisbon and visit UNESCO World Heritage sites. Our chosen hotel is centrally located, so you are can explore Lisbon’s many attractions further during your time at leisure.
Day 1 Wednesday:
Flights from UK to Lisbon with private transfer to Lisboa Plaza 4* hotel located in central Lisbon. In the afternoon you meet your guide for a walking tour of the old quarters of Lisbon from Rossio to Chiado. In Chiado you move among atmospheric cafes and enticing book, fashion and design stores as well as historic sights such as the church of San Roque with its custome made chapel of marble and semi precious stones. We stop off at Sao Pedro de Alcantara with its urban hanging garden and panoramic views over the seven hills on which Lisbon is built. Welcome dinner in hotel in Lisbon.
Day 2 Thursday:
Portugal is famous for its explorers and this morning we visit the area of Belem where we visit the most significant monuments from that era - Monastery de Jeronimos and Torre de Belem - both UNESCO World Heritage Sites dating back to 16th Century. We take lunch in a restaurant set in the greenery of 17th Century Royal Botanical Gardens. In the afternoon we continue to Real Quinta Caxais and the Marques de Pombal Palace. Evening at leisure in Lisbon.
Day 3 Friday:
Today we travel to nearby Sintra. There is time to explore this historic town at your own pace as well as visit Pena Park and Seteais Gardens before lunch in a local restaurant. In the afternoon we visit a private local garden before returning to Lisbon. Evening at leisure in Lisbon.
Day 4 Saturday:
We visit the scenic Arrabida National Park, Quinta da Bacalhao and a recently restored private garden at Quinta das Machadas. Lunch (own arrangements) before returning to Lisbon. Afternoon at leisure. Farewell dinner in hotel.
Day 5 Sunday:
Breakfast in hotel before visits to Quinta dos Azulejos and Palacio da Fronteira and its gardens. Transfer to airport and return flights to UK
Four nights from £1,049 per person
Date of Departure & Pricing
Wednesday 24 June 2015.
4 nights from £1,049 per person
based on two people sharing a room.
- Return scheduled flights from London to Lisbon. (Flights from other airports on request.)
- 4 nights accommodation at 4* boutique Hotel Lisboa Plaza on bed and breakfast basis, two dinners and one lunch.
- Knowledgeable tour leader throughout your itinerary.
- Guided walking tour of old Lisbon visiting the Chiado district, the Jesuit church of Sao Roque, Sao Pedro de Alcantara from where the seven hills of Lisbon can all be seen.
- Welcome dinner at the hotel.
- Guided tour of Belem and UNESCO World Heritage Sites Jeronimos Monastery and Torre de Belem with lunch in a restaurant set in the Royal Botanical Gardens.
- Visits to Real Quinta Caxais and Marques de Pombal Palace.
- Visit to Sintra with its Pena Park and Seteais gardens.
- Visit to Quinta da Piedade private garden.
- Visit to Arrabida National Park: Quinta da Bacalhoa and visit to recently restored private garden at Quinta das Machadas.
- Farewell dinner in hotel.
- Visit Quinta dos Azulejos and Palacio da Fronteira and gardens.
- Moderate Pace