Galicia – Camellias and More
- Tour summary
This is the tour for camellia lovers with visits to public and private gardens at the height of their season. Camellia lovers come from all parts of the world to enjoy the delights of this north western corner of Spain where growing conditions are ideal.
Our tour is based in the dramatic city of Santiago de Compostela and includes a walking tour to see the outstanding architecture as well as enjoy the local food and wine. From our base we visit some of the exceptional public and private gardens in the surrounding area.
Day 1 Thursday
Flights from UK to La Coruna and transfer to hotel in Santiago de Compostela. Evening meal in the hotel (included in price).
Day 2 Friday
Enjoy a guided walking tour of the historical centre of Santiago de Compostela seeing the famous cathedral and other architectural gems and court yards. Lunch at leisure. In the afternoon we visit the enchanting Pazo de Oca with its inventive water features. Evening at leisure.
Day 3 Saturday
We travel to Cambados where we visit Pazo Quinteira da Cruz, with its magnificent collection of camellias and enjoy a wine tasting of the famous Albarino wine and a manor house visit. After lunch (included in price) we visit Pazo da Saleta, formerly a work of passion for the keen gardener, Robert Gimson. The Pazo is devoted to camellias. Evening at leisure.
Day 4 Sunday
This morning we travel to Rubianes to visit Pazo Rubianes, built in the style of a French Mansion with award winning camellias. Afterwards we travel on to Pontevedra to visit the old city with its romantic squares and its Museo Provincial. Lunch in Pontevedra (included in price). (*Thursday 13 March 2014 departure includes a visit to International Camellia Festival in Vigo with lunch). After lunch we spend time in Parque Botanico Soutomaior, part of an historic property with a castle dating back to the 12th century. The botanic garden has hundreds of camellias belonging to about 25 species as well as specimen trees including ancient sequoias, araucarias, chamaecyparis, azaleas and oaks. Return to Santiago for evening at leisure.
Day 5 Monday
Visits to Pazo Marinan, with its parterre and camellias dating back many years, and Betanzos to view its medieval architecture. Lunch in La Coruna (included in price) and walking tour. Return for a farewell dinner in Santiago de Compostela (included in price).
Day 6 Tuesday
Breakfast in hotel before return flights to UK.
Date of Departure & Pricing
Thursday 2 March, Thursday 9 March 2017 and Thursday 16 March 2017.
5 nights from £959 per person.
Prices based on two people sharing a room.
- Return scheduled flights from London Heathrow. (Flights from other or via other airports may be available on request.)
- 5 nights accommodation in 4* Hotel Compostela on bed and breakfast basis plus three lunches and two dinners.
- Knowledgeable tour leader throughout your itinerary.
- Welcome dinner at the hotel.
- Guided tour of the incomparable World Heritage Site of Santiago de Compostela visiting the cathedral, the old market and hidden courtyards.
- Private visit to Pazo de Oca.
- Visit to Cambados with an Albariño wine tasting and lunch at a local restaurant.
- Private visit to Pazo de Saleta and Pazo Quinteiro de Cruz accompanied by the owner.
- Visit to Pazo Rubianes, Pontevedra and Parque Soutomaior, with its six hectares of camellias.
- Visit the International Camellia Exhibition to see world class camellias bred for show (Wednesday 16th March departure only) followed by lunch.
- Visit Pazo de Marinan.
- Guided tour of medieval Betanzos and bustling La Coruña with lunch.
- Farewell dinner in a local restaurant serving Galician specialty foods.
- Moderate Pace